[Object Error] Message from Webpage

In a rare moment of altruism (and I mean rare!), I thought I would help some of you earth creatures hopelessly tethered to your computers. Despite the fawning accounts of how your “incredible brain” works by breathless neurosurgeons, you still need your silicon pal around to get you through the day. It really is a dependency problem that you earthlings should think about more often. But I’m not an earthling psychiatrist so I won’t go there (even though I sort of did).

The [Object Error] dialog box

OK, back to the problem of solving that [Object Error] problem. What happens is that this annoying dialog box appears and stops you from browsing:

[Object Error] Message from Webpage

Annoying, yes? And what’s the deal with the square brackets. Was a programmer bored with plain old parentheses or something? And that title “Message from webpage.” That’s informative. But you didn’t come here for my snarky remarks about linguistic choices of software developers, did you? OK, on with it.

The solution to [Object Error]

I can only tell you what I did to stop the problem. Hopefully, your problem has the same cause. If not, hopefully the actions I took will give you some ideas while trouble shooting.

In my case, the cause was an Internet Explorer add-on. Add-ons are little programs that get attached to Internet Explorer. Toolbars are an example. My add-on that caused the [object error] was called Privacy Safeguard BHC which I believed to be some sort of marketing spyware.

The first thing you must do is bookmark the Internet web site page that makes the [object error] dialog box appear. Only a few web site pages do this so it is important to bookmark the page that brings on the [object error] dialog box.

To see if an add-on causes the [object error] dialog box to appear, you need to go into Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons) mode. If you are using Internet Explorer in No-Add-on mode and go to the bookmarked page that caused the problem and the [object error] dialog box does not appear, then the chances are good an add-on was causing the problem.

Here is how to do the No-Add-on thing straight from the horse’s mouth—Microsoft that is:

To use the InternetExplorer (No Add-ons) mode:

To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If this resolves the issue, follow these steps to isolate the browser add-on that is causing the issue:

1. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2. Click the Programs tab, and then click Manage add-ons.
3. Click an add-on in the Name list, and then click Disable.
4. Repeat step 3 until you identify the add-on that is causing the issue.

I had to do one more additional step. I had to delete the program PrivacySafeguard BHO and you also may have to delete whatever program is causing your add-in problem. Here is Microsoft’s explanation about deleting unwanted programs:

To uninstall or change a program:

Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.

Select a program, and then click Uninstall. Some programs include the option to change or repair the program in addition to uninstalling it, but many simply offer the option to uninstall.

Hope this helped. Now back to my unrelenting commentary about my superior nature and the ever widening gap between me and you.

Bookmark the permalink.